Let’s waddle into the new year with Tacky the Penguin! He is hilarious and his books are perfect for winter themed speech therapy!
*This post contains Amazon affiliate links*
Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester follows the adventures of a rather odd penguin named Tacky. He’s different and always in a good mood. He unknowingly saves his friends from a hapless group of hunters (a bear and a couple wolves) with his silly antics! This story will surely make your therapy groups giggle!
Of course, I had to create a book companion! haha! It can be found in The Speech is Sweet Club (along with all past and future companions)!
Let’s peek inside:
There are a variety of worksheets that tackle skills ranging from sequencing to rhyming!
Gotta love a good story map!
There is a flip book included – it addresses comparing/contrasting, comprehension, and sequencing!
Interactive notebook activities:
These interactive activities are perfect to add to a language notebook or just simply glue them onto loose-leaf paper/construction paper:
Comprehension Clip Cards are a fun way to practice answering questions!
Open-ended sheets are included:
There are truly so many goals you can tackle with this book! Including
- Comparing/Contrasting – Compare Tacky with all the other penguins (bonus: talk about how wonderful it is to be different)!
- Problem Solving – Discuss how Tacky distracted the hunters from the other penguins and how he saved the day!
- Describing – This book does a great job describing penguins, discuss all the attributes of a penguin.
- Adjectives – This book is filled with the brim with adjectives! Examples: graceful divers, odd bird, pretty songs, hearty slap, rough & tough
- Rhyming – When the hunters arrive, the author starts to use some rhyming words (examples: maps & traps, rocks & locks, rough & tough).
Where can you find this companion? There are three options:
Looking for some more winter themed therapy ideas? Check out the custom category on my blog!
I hope your students love this silly penguin! Thanks for stopping by!