Shark Week is coming! Of course, I have to round up some of my favorite picture books!
I’ve also made a freebie for this book! You can find it HERE.
Smiley Shark and the Great Big Hiccup! by Ruth Galloway
This is a fun sequel! Smiley Shark has the hiccups and his friends try to help him find a cure! Angelfish tells him to swim as fast as he can! Starfish tells him that cartwheels cure hiccups and the octopus tries to tickle him. Nothing works! His friends team up together to find a solution! This book is great for:
– Sequencing – First the Angelfish suggests swimming fast, second the Starfish suggests cartwheels, etc.
– Problem Solving – This is such a great book to address problem solving. Smiley Shark gets so many suggestions, but none of them work!
– Verbs – Smiley Shark tries so many activities to try to get rid of his hiccups!
The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark by Ken Geist
I love fracture fairy tales! This book is similar to The Three Little Pigs! One little fish makes a house out of seaweed, another out of sand, and another out of a sunken ship! Luckily, each little fish swim away and end up living together in the sunken ship! The big bad shark ends up with no teeth! haha
– Compare/Contrast – Compare this story with The Three Little Pigs
– Story Elements
Nugget and Fang by Michael Slack
Oh, my! If this isn’t the most precious story ever! Nugget is a mini minnow and his best friend is a toothy shark named Fang! They swim together every day until it’s time for Nugget to go to school. In minnow school, he learns that Sharks eat minnows and are dangerous! Nugget begins to fear Fang and tells him that they can’t be friends anymore! Each day, Fang tries to convince Nugget that he’s a nice shark. Nothing works until one day Nugget and his minnow friends get stuck in a net! Fang saves the day and then they all become friends! Use this book to target:
– Social Skills
– Compare/Contrast – Compare Nugget and Fang!
Gilbert In Deep by Jane Clarke
Gilbert is a great white shark that’s fearless….. well, most of the time! Gilbert and his friend Rita are not supposed to leave the reef, but they set out for an adventure anyways! They get lost and stumble upon some glowing creatures in a cave! Gilbert gets scared when he can’t find his way home. It’s such a cute story! This book can be used to address:
– Emotions – Scared, Happy, Curious, etc
– Where Questions
– Adjectives – fearless, scary, dark, etc!
Do you have a favorite shark book?! Leave a comment and let me know!