Welcome back to Wild About Books Wednesday! If you’re new around here, every Wednesday I discuss how to use a specific book in speech/language therapy. If you’re a blogger – I’d love if you would join in! Just use the picture below to link back to me.
It’s been a gloomy day here in Cincinnati… All I can think about is sunshine! And sunny days remind me of one of my favorite wash ladies – Mrs. McNosh!
Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash by Sarah Weeks is an absolute hoot! Every Monday morning, Mrs. Nelly McNosh does her favorite chore – laundry! She wakes up at dawn and washes her dresses, socks, skirts, nightgowns, and eventually everything within her reach. She may or may not love laundry a WHOLE bunch!
The entire book is written in silly rhymes. Children always bust out in giggles when Mrs. McNosh starts hanging up unexpected items. I crack up too!
Mrs. McNosh is the perfect book for speech-language therapy! There are so many fun things to do with this book. Here are some skills you can address:
1) Rhyming – This is a perfect book to work on rhyme discrimination with little ones!
2) /sh/ – Mrs. McNosh makes the /sh/ sound so much fun! You can create a mini clothesline in your speech room and have students hang up words that contain /sh/.
3) Vocabulary – review clothing words, work with categories, and so much more!
4) What doesn’t belong – Mrs. McNosh hangs up many things that do NOT belong on a clothesline.. this can spark a fun conversation about things that don’t belong
5) Sequencing – This book is a hoot for sequencing. She hangs up her wash, hangs up crazy items, then last she hangs up herself in a comfortable chair!
I was browsing Michael’s around Easter and saw the cutest set of clothespins! I found some similar clothespins on Amazon! They immediately reminded me of Mrs. McNosh and I had to buy them! There are so many clothesline activities you can create to go along with this book! Students can hang up rhyming words, /sh/ words, categorize, and sequence events! Seriously, I cannot wait until I can create a cute little clothesline in my speech room for my students! Last year I didn’t have time to use this book – so many books, so little time! It’s definitely going to make a comeback this year though.
Of course, I had to make a freebie for ya’ll! I’m on a freebie roll lately haha… My hopes are to continue to provide freebies on Wild About Books Wednesday when I don’t have a cool book companion to share! So please be sure to follow me on bloglovin’ and Facebook so you never miss a post…. or more importantly a blog-exclusive freebie!
This is a cute worksheet inspired by dear ol’ McNosh!
Thanks for visiting – I hope you visit again soon! In the meantime, I’m hanging up the blog for today! lol
I had to link up with Speechie Freebies to share this cute freebie I made over the summer! Mrs. McNosh is awesome! Enjoy the freebie and make sure you go back to the linky to scoop up all the other great freebies offered this week!